|“||Explore, collect, compete||”|
Poptropica is an online role-play browser game created by Jeff Kinney and Family Education Network for kids ages 6–15.
In the game, players, called Poptropicans travel to different islands and complete quests on them. So far there are fifty-three islands released on Poptropica and over 500,000,000 Poptropicans. Poptropica creates a lot of merchandise, including the Poptropica Blimp toy and many outfits, all of which are sold at the Poptropica Shop, or their online Zazzle store. They also make action figures, plush models, and "Pocketeers," which are two-inch toys.
Poptropica has had 50+ islands over its runtime, and more are currently being planned. Click "Expand" for a list of islands by release year.
- Main article: Common Room
Common Rooms are rooms where you can chat or challenge other players head-to-head. Nearly every island have their own Common Room. Below is the list of most of the island Common Rooms:
|Early Poptropica||Soda Pop Shop/Arcade|
|Shark Tooth||Coconut Cafe|
|Time Tangled||Party Time Tower|
|24 Carrot||24 Carrot Cinema|
|Super Power||The Daily Paper|
|Spy Island||The Hair Club|
|Big Nate||Cap'n Salty's|
|Astro-Knights||Crop Circle Inn|
|Counterfeit||The Moldy Baguette Inn|
|Skullduggery||The Broken Barrel|
|Steamworks||Steamworks Gear Shop|
|Great Pumpkin||Flying Ace Cafe|
|Cryptids||Bert's Bed & Breakfast|
|Wild West||Dusty Gulch Hotel|
|Wimpy Wonderland||Photo Gallery|
|Red Dragon||Frog Creek Library|
|Shrink Ray||Sweet Dreams Candy Shop|
|Mystery Train||Reverie Lounge|
|Game Show||Robo-Bling Boutique|
|Ghost Story||Visitor Center|
|S.O.S||Daggoo's Fish Market|
|Vampire's Curse||A Farm|
|Twisted Thicket||Bjorn's Smörgåsbord|
|Poptropolis Games 2013||Poptropolis Training Hall and Gym|
|Wimpy Boardwalk||Laser Tag|
|Lunar Colony||Final Frontier Gift Shop|
|Super Villain||You Know The Drill Eatery|
|Charlie and the Chocolate Factory||The Post Office|
|Back Lot||Celebrity Wax Museum|
|Virus Hunter||Town Hall|
|Mocktropica||The Blue Locust Restaurant|
|Monster Carnival||Ice-Cream Shop|
|PoptropiCon||The Facili-tee, Atrium, Boiler Room|
|Arabian Nights||Rumi's Rugs, The Hangout|
|Galactic Hot Dogs||Intergalactic Arcade|
|Mystery of the Map||Viking Grotto|
|Timmy Failure||Maury's Museum of World Records|
|Escape From Pelican Rock||Bert's Basement Gym|
- Main article: Mini-Islands
Also called Miniquests, Mini-Islands are quest that looks like the island quests, but shorter and usually easier. The Mini-Islands can be bought on Poptropica Store with various prices. However, since late 2011, the Mini-Islands would not cost any credits. Below is a list of Mini-Islands released on Poptropica:
There's also a Mini-Island play called Blimp Adventure. You must buy the Poptropica Blimp first on Toys R Us to get the redeem code.
In December 2011, Poptropica started releasing bonus quests for members. The bonus quest can be unlocked when you finish selected islands. The islands that have Bonus Quests are:
- S.O.S Island
- Vampire's Curse Island
- Twisted Thicket Island
- Poptropolis Games Island 2013
- Wimpy Boardwalk Island
- Lunar Colony Island
- Super Villain Island
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Island
- Zomberry Island
- Night Watch Island
- Back Lot Island
- Mocktropica Island
- Monster Carnival Island
The Poptropica creators have stopped making Bonus Quests since Survival Island came out.
The bonus quest eventually came back on Fairy Tale Island
On July 6, 2011, Poptropica started allowing players to replay islands, while keeping all the Island Medallions they had already earned. After you finished the island numerous times, you'll get to see how many times you've completed it. An island can be restarted from the map screen.
- On release day, account creation was not possible. Users did not yet get benefits from membership, and the account name in the Account Settings window was "default0".
- Players are given six sample Poptropicans to choose, each with a unique name and appearance:
- On episode 1 of Survival Island, the fire effect is a solid image instead of a group of particles.
- On episode 1 of Survival Island, the water droplets in the cave are more visible and fall at a faster rate.
- The player's Poptropican's eyes no longer track the cursor, but all other Poptropicans' eyes still do.
- Amelia's scarf was removed and replaced with pilot goggles.
- A daily reward system was added. Players get extra Credits every day if they log in: 50, 75, 100, 150, and 250 for days 1-5.
- Escape from Pelican Rock Island has multiple changes between the Flash and HAXE versions:
- The bearded man's line, "Scoping out the scenery, eh?" is now "It's a crime that some pets drink grape soda. I just saw a dog with a purple tongue."
- Bird droppings were added to the outside of the prison.
- Two signs reading "Caution: Steam" and "Do Not Overwork the Machine!" were added near the license plate maker.
- The mess hall now has graffiti on the walls and a trash can.
- On March 11th, 2020, the HAXE port was made public. Home Island, 24 Carrot Island, Snagglemast Island, Survival Island episode 1, and PoptropiCon Island episode 1 were available. Timmy Failure Island, Escape from Pelican Rock Island, Shrink Ray Island, and Mythology Island appeared on the map, with Timmy Failure Island being labeled "coming soon" and "not ready to play," also appearing half-sunk. The other three islands were completely submerged underwater.
- On March 30th, 2020, the character creation screen and name selection were redesigned.
- On April 2nd, 2020, Timmy Failure Island was released for members. Escape from Pelican Rock Island was updated with a "Coming Soon" label and partially rose out of the water.
- On April 9th, 2020, the character select screen was further redesigned. Players can choose pre-made characters with unique names. Additionally, this update changed the dialogue on Home Island to ask players what they would like to do in the game and fixed a bug in which the game would crash after jumping on the pig on Home Island.
- On April 21st, 2020, 24 Carrot Island's dialogue was updated and rewritten, mostly to give hints to players. The description for the island was also updated.
- Old: "People are going missing, and the carrots are disappearing. It's up to you to get to the bottom of the mystery!"
- New: "Kids, carrots, and a cat have gone missing! Help solve the mystery!
Find the cat
Get into the factory
Save the world!"
- On April 27th, 2020, American Girl: Joss's Island was added.
- On April 28th, 2020, an intro cinematic for 24 Carrot Island and multiplayer support in Common Rooms were added. Quippy was added into the Common Rooms on existing islands.
- On May 5th, 2020, players got the ability to create accounts and are prompted to do so after choosing a Poptropican.
- On May 22nd, 2020, Early Poptropica Island appeared on the map. It is used as a members-only way to access the AS2 islands.
- On June 2nd, 2020, an intro cinematic was added to the game.
- On July 8, 2020, Timmy Failure Island was released for all and Escape from Pelican Rock Island was released for members. Mythology Island partly rose with a "coming soon" label. A roadmap feature that outlines important events in the island was added to the menu, launching for 24 Carrot.
- On August 28, 2020, Time Tangled Island was released for members.
- On October 13, 2020, Zomberry Hero Special Event was released for all players.
- Poptropica was officially launched in September 2007.
- As of October 19, 2012, Poptropica has over 498 million users.
- In early 2010, the Poptropica team added membership for Poptropica users to have an upgraded access to exclusive items from the Poptropica Store, and to play on islands before their release to non-members. In August 2014, they allowed members to access a beta island, Poptropica Land, where they are able to play with special idealistic tools, costumes, etc., for their enjoyment, even if they will not be used in future islands.
- The game's login screen was redesigned on September 25, 2018.
- Poptropica Website
- Poptropica Island Tour
- Poptropica Creator's Blog
- Poptropica on Google Plus
- Poptropica on Youtube
- Poptropica on Facebook
- Poptropica on Twitter
- Poptropica Store